First, I wanted to pin point the health benefits of running. There are a few that are commonly known, but there may be a some you are unaware of. I feel that if more people are conscious of all the positive things about running, more would consider as an activity for a healthy lifestyle. Here are 10 key benefits:
1. Mental Health– Your body releases chemicals which helps you feel more happy.
2. Lessen Effects of Asthma– Helps strengthen lungs and bronchi.
3. Helps Prevent High Blood Pressure– Your arteries expand and contract while running, helping the arteries to stay fit, which then helps maintain healthy blood pressure.
4. Strong Immune System– If you are a runner, you suffer less from minor illnesses.
5. Weight Loss– You burn 705-865 calories per hour. Fat moving up and down helps break your fat down.
6. Physical Strength– Running builds lower body strength in addition to strengthening your tendons and ligaments.
7. Increase Bone Density– Your body sends essential minerals to bones to strengthen them when stressed. As running stresses your bones, these additional minerals help to increase your bone density over time.
8. Joint Strength and Stability– By increasing the strength of your ligaments and tendons you increase joint strength and reduce chances of injuries to your ankles, hips and knees.
9. Personal Control– Running = increased confidence + greater control over your life.
10. Reduces Effects of Diabetes– Helps reduce diabetic resistance to insulin and maintain a healthy blood sugar level.